Law Enforcement Torch Run Polar Plunge
The Law Enforcement Torch Run Polar Plunge, presented by GEICO, is a unique opportunity to support Special Olympics athletes by taking a flying leap – a leap into the frigid waters of an Illinois lake. In 2013, there were 20 locations.
Participants raise at least $75 in donations from friends, family and co-workers in exchange for jumping into the icy waters in the middle of winter. Each plunger receives a Polar Plunge sweatshirt and entrance into a Post-Plunge Party, plus the chance to win additional prizes for raising more money (see individual and team prize winners).
All proceeds collected by plungers benefit Special Olympics Illinois athletes. In 2013, more than $1.7 million was raised by more than 6,290 plungers. In 15 years, $10.2 million has been raised by more than 38,000 plungers! See results from 2013 Plunges.
Anyone can plunge – young and old. Only registered plungers will be allowed in the water. No one of any age is allowed to be carried into the water. A parent or guardian must sign the waiver form if a plunger is under age 18. Attire: Anything but a wetsuit. Shoes are recommended; costumes are encouraged. Remember to bring a towel to dry off!
In 2013, Polar Plunges took place in February and March in 20 different locations around the state!
- SUPER Plunge at Northwestern University’s North Beach, Evanston
- Miller Park Lake, Bloomington
- Southern Illinois University Campus Lake, Carbondale
- Carlyle Lake, Carlyle
- Northwestern University’s North Beach, Evanston
- Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve, Mahomet
- Moorman Lake, Upper Moorman Park, Quincy
- Lake Springfield, Knights of Columbus Hall #4179, Chatham
- Lakefront Park, Fox Lake
- Lake Storey, Galesburg
- Rend Lake, South Sandusky Beach, Benton
- Lake Decatur, The Beach House, Decatur
- Lake Sara, Effingham
- Sunrise Beach, Lake Bluff
- Manteno Lake, Manteno
- Olson Lake, Rock Cut State Park, Rockford
- Twin Lakes, Salt Creek Park District, Palatine
- Loon Lake, Silver Springs State Park, Yorkville
- Leisure Lakes, Joliet
- Wicks Lake, Jumer’s Casino, Rock Island
- Lincoln Lakes, Private Beach, Lincoln
We have plenty of resources available for you to help make your plunge a success!
- Tips on raising money and receiving matching funds from your employer.
- Online Registration Instructions
- Polar Plunge Pre-Registration Events
- Polar Plunge Donation Tracking Form
- Polar Plunge Donor Receipts
- Polar Plunge Sample Donation Letter
- Polar Plunger Business Cards
Read more about
Next Story | Previous Story